Cert Man journey

This is my learning journal for the PG Certificate in Management course at Leeds Met University. It has little use to anyone else but is the easiest way for me to complete this part of my coursework. Read it if you will but I'm sure there are better examples out there.

Name:
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, United Kingdom

I work in the public sector - I try to improve the lot of the citizens of Leeds, I have my doubts about my efficacy. I have brief forrays into various worlds - from the bleeding armchair liberal to crazy meglomanic. Luckily I'm far too lazy to exercise these tendancies far.

Monday, January 03, 2005

Assignment frenzy new year

Well it's a new year and so in theory my marketing assignment should be in the bag and MIE pretty much there to hand in all tomorrow. Sadly the progress is less advanced.
Marketing assignment is virtually done - appendices to be collected from work on Wednesday, Print on quality paper and final read through and any edits required to be done tomorrow.
MIE however is a long way off completion. Why is it so difficult to even start on this working business? Each day I have spend at least 2 hours from the point at which work was due to start to actual starting. Then far more interruptions have been created. Therefore I've completed marketing today not last Thursday. I feel this shows a time management issue. I don't have a sense that "it is impossible to complete within the time frame" so I fritter time, presumably to enhance my sense of panic, however I already know that I won't be doing myself justice. It is to a certain extent the eating of the frog loved by Brian Tracy. The first steps - identifying the areas to focus on have yet to be carried out - breaking it down into manageable chunks. See I know my time management theory, it the practice I'm not so happy with!

I have found that I'm not engaging with the consequences of my actions. I know that having been poorly and not completely over that is a demotivating factor, however I have not managed to put those feelings on one side. I wonder if it would be different if I felt what I was doing was for work? The whole self esteem thing - it's more valid if it's for others - seems to be having it's evil effects again. I do very much feel this course is about me and my next job and not about my current work, even though I do seem to be applying a lot of my learning to this post, however there is a recognition by others issue around that (in that I don't think others recognise that I am bringing more to the workplace).

I am feeling very disengaged with work so perhaps that is part of the problem. I need to look into how I can re-engage over the next few weeks otherwise I'm going to become increasingly unhappy. This is already impacting on my engagement with life outside the workplace and I am fairly certain it is that, not just the general time of the year, being poorly, weather is miserable, want to curl up and hibernate feeling.
I have realised that my next post is not likely to be in a child centred environment however it will be utilising my Administration and management skills. I need to find a way to balance my sense of "not wanting to work in this culture again" with "I want to do the general office management things" Perhaps I should use my journal over the next few months to focus on "what I can take from this job and utilize in the next one" and "what I can put on one side from this job and not allow it to impact on my out of work life" rather than continuing in my current unconstructive "I don't like rather a lot of stuff around childcare that seems to be a required view of my colleagues" thinking. Focus on what the job itself is, rather than what the organisation is about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home