Cert Man journey

This is my learning journal for the PG Certificate in Management course at Leeds Met University. It has little use to anyone else but is the easiest way for me to complete this part of my coursework. Read it if you will but I'm sure there are better examples out there.

Name:
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, United Kingdom

I work in the public sector - I try to improve the lot of the citizens of Leeds, I have my doubts about my efficacy. I have brief forrays into various worlds - from the bleeding armchair liberal to crazy meglomanic. Luckily I'm far too lazy to exercise these tendancies far.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Noooo!

I wrote a massive blog on Thursday evening and as it was saving the system appeared to go horribly wrong. NO thought I IT WILL BE FINE. How very wrong I was. It was a really good bit of Here is the problem, here is what I thought, here is how I rationalised it, here is where to next that was just perfect for the assignment. And it's gone. And the whole thing was very traumatic and do I really have to relive it again?
Hmmm - it was all about last weeks MIE lecture - I got upset, I felt stupid, I worked out that the tutor just has a rather aggressive response style, rather than acknowledging peoples opinions and asking what others think she tends to talk about with whatever she thinks the student has said (which never seems to be what I think the person has said) in a "this is a conflict to be overcome way" rather than a "this is a piece of information to be exchanged" kind of way, and I always make the mistake of contributing and then feeling I am stupid. I decided I should make a conscious decision to contribute less, remember that she may not have contextualised the topic clearly enough for me (eg in this case it was in fact a history of management, not supposed to be new information to be acted on) so I need to take a step back and all will be well. It was a lot better expressed that that. Don't you hate it when you loose an hours work?

Our Data handling lectures are getting trickier but I think I see a direction my career may need to go in next - if I continue to enjoy the concepts of using information for strategic planning...

Spent a lot of today reading "Marketing, Management and strategy by Peter Doyle - This makes sense, Marketing really is just common sense: Plan, adapt and survive, stay customer focused, longer term goals not just short term planning make for long term survival. I have just read the chapter summaries and the 1st couple of chapters but I think I may have to find a "what marketing used to be" text to understand why the newer books we read all seem to take a "Marketing must change" approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home